Summary Of Professional Experience
• Owner, Bruce Elkin Coaching. Life Design coaching focused on helping people create what matters most—in life, work, business, health and relationships—with whatever they have to start with.
• Founder of Summit Strategies, an organizational development firm specializing in strategic design and planning, and follow-up coaching to help clients follow through to completed, high-level results.
• Developed and ran Coach Training Programs for Peer Resources Institute.
• Nine-year student/associate of Robert Fritz, author of The Path of Least Resistance, and developer of Structural Dynamics Coaching and Consulting.
• Trained, coached, and consulted with a wide range of participants in, and subsequent to leading Fritz’s Technologies For Creating and Organizational Technologies For Creating workshops. Wrote briefing notes for Peter Senge’s Fifth Discipline Fieldbook.
• Principal: Uncommon Sense Coaching and Consulting: Designed, developed and taught generic skill-based Personal Mastery programs to thousands of individuals and employees. Coached individuals in follow-up programs.
• Designed, developed, and trained and coached staff in innovative, personal and organizational leadership programs for NGOs such as SFU, Corrections Canada, Outward Bound, the YMCA, Alberta Recreation, BC Ministry of Environment.
• Designed and implemented innovative supervisor and participant leadership programs for Environment Youth Corps, Ministry of Environment, BC.
• Designed, developed, and ran One Step Beyond Worldwide’s Executive Seminars, a world class, adventure-based Professional and Executive Development program in the Canadian Rockies.
• Founded and directed the Yamnuska Mountain School (now Yamnuska Mountain Adventures) in Canmore, AB. Managed and directed twenty high-level mountain guides, Everest climbers and instructors (aka herding strong willed cats).
• Member start-up team, Banff School of Environment (BSE). Faculty member, Environmental Decision-Making for Managers.
• Designed and developed National Wilderness Travel Leadership program for the Canadian Camping Association.
• Founder, Director, Earthways: Experiences In Environmental Exploration. Three-week wilderness camp for teens, focusing on life design skills, ecological awareness and understanding, and confidence building mountain adventure.
• Founding associate of the Action Studies Institute (now The Human Venture) an innovative systems approach to Life Design and Leadership. Associate for five years.
• Senior Trainer for The Institute for Earth Education, an international organization dedicated to ecological awareness, understanding and action.
• M.Ed. Student/Instructor, Educational Sociology, University of Calgary
• Faculty Associate/Instructor, Professional Development Program, Faculty of Education, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby
• Member, Faculty Team, SFU Summer Institute in Environment, Sechelt, BC
• Instructor, Teacher as Learner Program, Faculty of Education, U. of Calgary
• Frustrated high school teacher in Calgary, Edmonton and Springbank, AB
• Probation Officer and Court Counselor, Family Court, Edmonton
• Nine years post-grad training in Structural Dynamics coaching and consulting with Robert Fritz, author of The Path of Least Resistance, Creating, and Identity.
• Masters of Education, Faculty of Education, University of Calgary
• Masters of Environmental Design Program, University of Calgary. Completed one year.
• Bachelor of Education with Distinction, University of Alberta, 1969.
• Bachelor of Arts, University of Alberta, 1965.
•Simplicity and Success: Creating the Life You Long For [Trafford, 2003]
• Emotional Mastery: Manage Your Moods and Create What Matters—With Whatever Life Gives You! Self-published eBook, 2006
• THRIVE! Creating What Matters Most In Challenging Times and Beyond, ebook
• The ABCs of Emotional Mastery, ebook
• Individual and the Environment, The Queen’s Quarterly, Fall 1977
• The Individual and The Environment, Journal of Experiential Education, Spring 1982
• Science, Self-Education and Personal Competence, Briefing paper for Faculty of Education publication, Simon Fraser University, 1978
• Self-Leadership: Skills and Strategies for Managing Change in Tough Times, Workbook and Briefing paper for Alberta Recreation Leadership program, January, 1986
• Numerous papers, articles, and support materials for Personal/Organizational Mastery and Life Design workshops, and coaching follow-up programs .
For a more personal, revealing history, please visit Finding Purpose—A Kind of Mini-Memoir.